I regret little, but in looking back I am disappointed at my not participating in a reflection project for 2011. That year was so excruciating and painful and joyful and liberating and full that it is very much a blur of change. I should have recorded some part of it - though a peek into my December Daily 2011 will certainly give an indication to why the project did not get completed!

I enjoyed participating in reverb10 which resulted in a beautiful blog, a wonderful keepsake album and a collection of incredible memories - fully recorded. For 2010, I will always remember where I was and where I was planning on going. I want to go through that same exercise again for 2012. This past year was equally worth remembering.

Not that I have an abundance of time this year, but I do have a great desire, so that will have to do! I have curated a number of prompts from many resources. Those I've selected can be found below as well as a few of my own, they have each been attributed as best I can.

08 December 2012

day eight | reading

prompt: reading

What has been your favourite book [or blog or magazine] you've read this year? (Author: Carolyn Rubenstein) 

+ + + + + 

I am forever reading something: a blog, a book, a magazine. A mix of electronic and hard copy – as much as I’ve tried, I do not enjoy using my iPad to read a book and I’m pretty sure I’ve single-handedly revived the magazine industry.

Yes, magazines. I know they’re going the way of the Dodo, but for me they are a mainstay. As a parent of four busy kids, I seem to live in my truck taking the kids here-there-everywhere and there is a ridiculous amount of wait time. Sometimes I fill my time talking – on the phone or in person – but usually I have a collection of magazines to distract and fulfill me:

Canadian House & Home | I’ve had this subscription forever and love it
Oprah | I miss her on television everyday. The magazine is brilliant and with every issue I learn a lot of good, empowering stuff
Vanity Fair | I’ve been a fan since the days of the Regan presidency and Dominic Dunn’s salacious stories and speculations
Martha Stewart Living | I long ago realized I’m not Martha Stewart and don’t want to be, but wow, what she has done is amazing – and the photography is stellar
Whole Living | LOVE this magazine. It gets me, where I am, today
The Simple Things | Holy smokes! I read the first issue and immediately subscribed
Click | This is going to be a favourite, of that I’m sure
More | Wow, and age appropriate woman’s magazine. I’ve enjoyed everything about it so far
Best Health | One of the lovely things about Canadian Magazines is that it tells me about things I can get here at home
Anna | One issue in and looking forward to the next
Seeing the Everyday | Arrives in a brown envelope each month, so simple and inspiring
Fine Cooking | I’m a fan of the “fresh” issues. As a non-cook they are very helpful
Artful Blogging | Ah yes. One day!

The articles are just long enough to fill the time spent waiting in front of the Nicholas Arts Centre after school. You know, when you have to arrive a half hour early in order to safely park without threat of crazy parents frantically arriving late to collect their little precious while putting everyone in harms way? Yep. That’s how I prefer things.

Be a little early; get a little productive and educated.

As for books, not many were read, but there was one standout: “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn. It was chilling and stays with me still in it's casual horror. Seriously scary stuff. The whole book was good: beginning, middle and end. That's exactly what I need. A book that doesn't disappoint at the end. 

2 comments:

  1. We have similar taste in magazines! Although you mention some that I have never heard of. I will have to check them out. I too like to read magazines in my car while waiting, now my son reads magazines in the car too while I am driving ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i, too, am a mag whore. it's a sad sad addiction. i really should subscribe to more, as i spend WAY too much on the impulse buys. you ought to check out mingle. oh for love of gorgeousness. thanks for sharing your list. and giving me more to buy. ;)

    ReplyDelete