I regret little, but in looking back I am disappointed at my not participating in a reflection project for 2011. That year was so excruciating and painful and joyful and liberating and full that it is very much a blur of change. I should have recorded some part of it - though a peek into my December Daily 2011 will certainly give an indication to why the project did not get completed!

I enjoyed participating in reverb10 which resulted in a beautiful blog, a wonderful keepsake album and a collection of incredible memories - fully recorded. For 2010, I will always remember where I was and where I was planning on going. I want to go through that same exercise again for 2012. This past year was equally worth remembering.

Not that I have an abundance of time this year, but I do have a great desire, so that will have to do! I have curated a number of prompts from many resources. Those I've selected can be found below as well as a few of my own, they have each been attributed as best I can.

02 December 2012

day two | limits

prompt: limits

We often learn our limits the hard way. Were there any limits you realized this past year? Alternately, what self-imposed limits were you able to move beyond this year? (Author: Carolyn Rubenstein) 

+ + + + + 

At some point last month, ChloĆ© asked me why I was so cranky. I was confused by the question because I don’t know that I am cranky all that much, but when I sat back to translate what she meant, I suppose she was right. I look at it differently: to her I was plain grouchy; to me I had reached a limit – one of many I’ve reached this year.

A hint: when you hear the heavy mama-sigh, a line has been crossed, a limit has been reached - or exceeded!

1. I ran out of patience with those who judge: particularly those who judge solely based on their own experience with no empathy or understanding of any other point of view. Intolerance is ridiculous!

2. I left volunteering due to people and politics. Volunteering by its very nature is to be altruistic to be effective. Volunteering for power over people, particularly children, is petty and mean. I was sad to leave, but I had little choice.

3. I quickly run out of interest in the minutiae, the daily drama found in the lives of the under-13-year-old set. Really? I don’t care. Stop telling me!

4. When I say “no”, which is not often, I mean it. It is NOT up for negotiation. Whining or challenging will do the opposite of changing my mind.

5. Clean your room. Pick up after yourself. Eat it. Bathe! Do your chores. Folded clothes do not go in the dirty laundry bin. Flush! Brush your teeth. A few of my daily limits!

6. Any man can be a sperm donor. It takes a real man to be a dad. I’m glad to be raising real men. I have no patience for deadbeats.

I used to be pretty blunt and I’ve never suffered fools, but I’ve also spent many years keeping my opinions to myself. The kids are getting older now and I’ve decided it’s time to let them know about the whats and whys of my limits and my beliefs. I’m no longer holding it all in.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful and most thoughty, Lee. You've actually affirmed something for me in this for which I am most grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being here Currie Silver :) Happy to be of assistance!

      Delete
  2. oh girl. once again, i can relate to this on all too many levels. lovely post. just lovely. looking forward to what's next. thank you for sharing. (will you be linking to your other friends who are joining you on this journey? I always love to read the other posts...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Shelley. I'm hoping people will leave links in the comments so I can find everyone and read what they're reverb-ing about :)

      Delete
  3. oh this is too funny... your last name is Currie!!! I meant to link yesterday's but in my typical Sunday fashion it slippered me mind.
    http://becurrie.blogspot.com/2012/12/2-december-2012-month-of-reflection.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a lot of the same limits... especially #5... and I can relate to #6 although it is on a very personal level. Thankfully my kids have a good dad - terrible disciplinarian, but otherwise really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to shorten #5, I could have gone on forever. Lucky for me my dad is very present and for that I am very thankful for me and my kids. Your girls are very fortunate :)

    ReplyDelete