I regret little, but in looking back I am disappointed at my not participating in a reflection project for 2011. That year was so excruciating and painful and joyful and liberating and full that it is very much a blur of change. I should have recorded some part of it - though a peek into my December Daily 2011 will certainly give an indication to why the project did not get completed!

I enjoyed participating in reverb10 which resulted in a beautiful blog, a wonderful keepsake album and a collection of incredible memories - fully recorded. For 2010, I will always remember where I was and where I was planning on going. I want to go through that same exercise again for 2012. This past year was equally worth remembering.

Not that I have an abundance of time this year, but I do have a great desire, so that will have to do! I have curated a number of prompts from many resources. Those I've selected can be found below as well as a few of my own, they have each been attributed as best I can.

31 December 2012

day twenty eight | space

prompt: space

We all surround ourselves with the things we love. A few favourite things - a blanket, a lamp, a piece of art, a chair, a lovey - something inanimate that brings us happiness. What do you have in your personal space that brings about happiness? What is the story attached to it that has it in your sacred space? (Author: Me)

+ + + + + 

As corny as it sounds, as long as I have my kids around I'm surrounded with all of the things I love. But, there are a few inanimate pieces in my space that bring me contentment and joy. 

One of the great benefits of divorce, particularly separation from a collector (er, hoarder) is the freedom from the encumbrance of stuff. Not that I don't collect things: books, scrapbook supplies and white bathroom towels immediately come to mind, but the scale is very different. Now that our space is reduced to one-third of what it was, I can only have things I like, and those things I don't like - or that are proving impractical - are quickly being removed or replaced.  

My home is slowly evolving into a space I love. The paint colour is a soothing gray with a hint of blue accented with caramel gold and chocolate brown. The furniture is stylish and comfortable, not an easy combination, with additions of throws and pillows. Books line shelves and my new project is to purge them and keep only those books that are well-loved and will be shared. I hope that all of the big expenses are over and now I can focus on simply stripping things back to be only things I love and use.

To choose one thing that brings me most joy in my home, I would have to choose my  bookshelves. Really. They were custom made years ago. The detailing is classic, very simple and symmetrical and covered in a dark, espresso stain. They are huge and deep and hold my beloved books, journals, scrapbooks, framed photos, souvenirs, television (mostly used for music) and artwork. I think I'd be content to live somewhere with my cast iron skillet, a white bath towel, a new bed and my filled bookshelves, though I really wouldn't want to strip things down quite that far!

When it came time to divide the house contents, there were very few things I felt I needed to have for me and the kids. In hindsight the bulk of the "good" stuff was left behind, but the reality is that I got all of the things that make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment